Do we have to go to court?

It is possible to enter into a private separation agreement with your ex-partner if you both agree. Such agreements are the most common way of resolving the financial and property aspects of separations and allow the parties to keep well away from the divorce courts. Typically, they are much cheaper than going all the way to a full court hearing and are generally thought to create less long-lasting bitterness between the parties. When there are children involved in a separation, avoiding antagonism is an important factor for many parents.